Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Apr 2005 08:22:43 -0700
From:         Aaron Pearson <Aaron.Pearson@GXT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Another Vanagon Burns Up

so apart from the preventive maintainenece, what's the best way to handle a fire? i hope i'll be able to smell smoke/fuel, or maybe some other driver will wave to me. what happens after i pull over? i can't imagine that i'll be able to calmly open the hatch and engine lid and spray my extinguisher around... everything will be a mass of heat, smoke, and confusion, right? I have this nice new extinguisher in the back of my van, but i haven't the slightest idea how to handle a fire. any advice from someone who has handled this before?

aaron '87 syncro gl

-----Original Message----- From: jimt [mailto:camper@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO] Sent: Friday, April 01, 2005 8:06 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Another Vanagon Burns Up

Donšt forget to check out your "other" vehicles. There was another vehicle fire out on the road yesterday. I knew the tow operator and he let me look at the engine compartment before he hauled it off. The officer let him hold for a minute after he told him that I have been doing some private research into engine fires. (nothing to publish that hasnšt been said in here and other lists). I was able to easily follow a funnel shaped spray/fire pattern back to a hole in the high pressure side of the fuel injection system. This particular vehicle was a 96 jeep 4L that had the same system as my daughters. Examined hers and found what action/cause the leak could have come from. Be very careful when doing maintenance around your metal fuel lines. Especially where they bend. (Again this is on any vehicle) I havent seen but a single burnt bug/bus/vanagon in the last year here locally but have examined close to 30 vehicles burnt out in the last year. That 96 and a 2004 (under litigation) were the only vehicles made after 94 that I had examined. Anything with a fuel system made before MTBE and alcohol needs to be rigorously inspected at all rubber fittings and hoses. Make sure metal lines are not within 1/4 inch of any metal surface unless held out away from it in a way that they cannot make contact under vibrations.

Let us please keep the BBQ in the BBQ.

jimt