Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Apr 2005 17:23:02 -0700
From:         Shawn Wright <swright@ZUIKO.SLS.BC.CA>
Subject:      Re: First try at a trannie only pull - questions

On 6 Apr 2005 at 18:54, Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET> wrote:

I've now done this three times (don't ask... the 4th was with engine and trans together - much easier!), so I'll add a few things:

> 1. Your biggest concern will be lifting and lowering. I bought a > transmission jack adapter for my floor jack, but ended up not being > able to use it because my floor jack couldn't get the back of the van > up high enough to allow me to use it. It turned out to be no problem, > though. I placed the transmission on the cup of the floor jack at the > balance point, and rolled all under the car, steadying the transmission > with my free hand. Still steadying as I pumped it up to the proper > height. It helps if your engine can tilt down some toward the front, as > the diesel does. You may have to think about how to acheive a little > tilt with the waterboxer, presuming that is what you have. Some people > have lain on their backs, lifted the transmission to their chest, and > put it in that way. It could work.

I've done both - the tranny balanced on the jack is tricky, and on your chest is painful - take your pick!

> Once the front bracket hits the body near where it will mount, it is a > simple matter to match height and slide the transmission into place. I > can't think of an easier car I've done that on.

Perhaps the wbx is trickier, but I've always had more trouble on re-installing getting it to line up and slide together. But then I'm usually more tired by then too.

> 2. The axles will be messy when you drop them. Have some good rags, > bags and ties. Tie them up out of the way as soon as you can.

Yep, 2 bungies to hook into notches in frame rails, bags and elastics will keep things clean, both you and the grease...

> 3. The CV joint fasteners must be clean and the wrench tapped home > before you attempt to loosen them. Easy to mess up.

Yes! This is a big one. Also watch for mixed bolts - I have one allen bolt mixed in with the 12point bolts that I always forget about... I need to replace that some day.

> 4. Put the engine cover back on when you're not working on the car. I > didn't, and had to clean out a huge bird nest from the poptop canvas. > It's springtime, and birds will find their way into a parked van if you > leave it for even an hour.

I hadn't thought of that one, but I did have a bird in the van a while back - flew in the garage, then into the open sliding door...

> 5. Drop the shift mechanism at the rear only. Don't do anything that > will upset the shift adjustment. You'll be sorry if you do.

Yes, just push it to one side.

> Enjoy the repair. It's about the only thing you'll ever do to a vanagon > where you don't have to bleed the cooling system when you're done.

Also, some padding on your chest might be a good idea :-)

Shawn Wright http://zuiko.sls.bc.ca/~swright '85 Jetta D '88 Westy 2.1L, soon to be 1.6TD 5 speed '82 Diesel Westy