Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Apr 2005 00:04:12 EDT
From:         Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: changing driver's seat belt '84 Westy
Comments: To: gabeross@ORO.NET

In a message dated 4/5/2005 12:05:13 PM Pacific Standard Time, gabeross@ORO.NET writes:

Is there a way to R/R the driver's seat belt without removing the sink/stove cabinet? If I do have to remove the cabinet, is there an easy way to do it and/or can someone point me to step-by-step instructions?

I can't give you step by step at this point and it's kind of dark out to see the set up. But I have replaced the driver's seat belt in my 83.5 Westy and did not take out the kitchen. I think you can get at the big bolt that holds the retractor for the belt at the bottom with a regular old box wrench. Same goes for the top loop and the anchor toward the front.

I put later model seatbelts into my Westy--again it's an 83.5. You need the full monty: that is belts and buckles. The driver's side is wired for the idiot light and buzzer so costs a bit more than the passenger buckle.

Here's where the later belts are noticably different in performance in the earlier Westies. Drum roll:

The later model upper loop for the belt is bulkier than the belts originally in the 83. As a result you have to pivot the loop out of the way when you open the kitchen top. This is absolutaly no big deal--monor as could be. Literally you're just pivoting the thing the way it's designed to pivot for normal use.

I think the later model Westies had the front of the kitchen lid reconfigured so it could pass the slightly bulkier loop.

The new seatbelts work great and I trust them more than I was trusting the sometimes working 20-some year old belts.

Lemme know if you need a step-bystep and I'll check after work tomorrow and remeber how it went. But suffice to say it was pretty easy as I remember. And Rennie at Pacific VW here in LA gave me a nice list discount. Best, Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA