Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Apr 2005 15:49:29 -0600
From:         Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Removing seat arms
Comments: To: Matthew Jenkins <JenkinsM@SI.EDU>

Just so you know Matthew, this is splattered all over the archives.

The arms are held onto the seat by a steel bracket that is screwed onto the seat. 2 screws, and those are the things that loosen. To access those, stick your fingers into the space between the seat and the inside of the arm, and pull the arm cushion toward you, or squeeze the cushion. This reveals the steel shaft on the arm and the bracket it's attached to that's held onto the seat with those screws. The arm and its steel sleeve is held onto the steel bracket by a roll pin. One end of the roll pin is swaged or flanged so the pin can only be driven into the steel sleeve just so far. Find the smaller of the 2 ends of the roll pin and drive the pin out from that end. It's likely that the upper end of the roll pin is the larger of the two ends so gravity holds the pin in place. I use a small hammer and punch but you can use a flattened nail of sufficient size to act as a punch. ONce the pin is removed the arm can be pulled off or twisted until it comes off, then you can access the offending steel bracket and its screws. It's recommended to take the bracket off and clean up the screws and use some lock tite when putting the screws back on for insurance. Reverse the whole process to reinstall the arms. bob

----- Original Message ----- From: "Matthew Jenkins" <JenkinsM@SI.EDU> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2005 12:09 PM Subject: Removing seat arms