Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Apr 2005 18:35:29 -0700
From:         Steve Schwenk <Steve@SYNCRO.ORG>
Subject:      [syncro.org] Happy Hour only One Month Away

In exactly one month, nearly to the minute, many of us will be gathering around the syncro camp cafe and stage for the Syncro de Mayo social hour, leading up the BBQ dinner and then the awards ceremony, to be followed by the campfires and other night time camp fun. It's looking like we will have some music on stage, too, for part of the evening at least. By then, this time next month, the fierce competition for driver of the year will have already come to an end. Syncro University classes will have concluded. All that will be left will be the carrying on and fun of the final night, before we break camp the next morning and head home.

In other words, before you know it, syncro de mayo will be here...and then gone.

So do yourself a favor, and do all the good folks who pitch in to put on the event a favor, and register now if you're coming...or if you've been thinking of coming. We have a good stack of people signed up already, but a lot of you are still procrastinating, just like me.

Any way, here's the link. Do your part. Sign up early so we can do a good job getting everything ready and without too much suffering and last minute stress. You can pay on-line with a credit card or send in a check (which won't be cashed till 10 days before the event).

http://www.syncro.org/SdM_events.html

And if you can't make it, send us a flag to fly in your absence! We will be saluting you with toasts right about now in month if you do. The address is on the page linked above in the lower left column.

UPDATES: We will have a new feature at the university this year, and that will be a series of short workshops at the stage. One, for example, will involve a demonstration of how to hook up a simple but effective hidden kill switch to deter thefts, something that we all need to be concerned about as syncros become more popular. I am still recruiting faculty for the work shops. I am looking for presentations of technical info (i.e. Tom may do one on the solid shaft VC replacement) or vehicle set-up (how to level your van's suspension), or off-roading tips, or anything interesting. Please let me know if you might be interested in giving a presentation/workshop.

Sue informs me she will be doing a lot of filming at the event for a project she is working on, and would like to team up with a few drivers who would help her with the filming, including filming of other syncros in action directly in front or behind the camera van. Hopefully, we will be able to view some of the footage in the evening.

So far, people are flying in from Pennsylvania, Alberta and hopefully New Brunswick. There appears to be a large Oregon and WA contingent forming. And AZ and NV will have several. UT and Idaho at least one each. Not sure about CO. I think we have one from NM coming. WYO? For those who have to travel through Nevada, I can suggest some nice dirt roads that allow 40-50 MPH travel clear across the state.

In other developments, Team GoWesty informs me that they are now sending 5 syncros and drivers to the event, along with an array of goodies to oooh and ahhh over. I am sure at least a couple of their syncros will be tricked out. And their drivers, they're crazy. They're willing to challenge any obstacle and are a lot of fun to watch. Yesterday, Joel stopped by in his 2WD syncronized adventure wagon. It has a syncro tranny and diff lock, taller wheels, taller springs, BFG tires and looks to be very off road capable. It sounds like he will be at the event with his van, as will a slew of DoKas and a stretch or two, at least one euro 16" syncro, the syncromog and Eric's super trick blue syncro, probably one or more tri stars, Scott Foss and his turbovan tdi, and a couple of old busses, too. David Marshall promises he's coming this year, but has not decided in what. Who knows who or what else might show up. I haven't looked at the registration forms to see yet.

Here's hoping we see you there!

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Help save the life of a child. Support St. Jude Children's Research Hospital's 'Thanks & Giving.' http://us.click.yahoo.com/6iY7fA/5WnJAA/Y3ZIAA/gd26lB/TM --------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Yahoo! Groups Links