Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Apr 2005 10:47:31 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Another Vanagon Burns Up
Comments: To: jimt <camper@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>

Donšt forget to check out your "other" vehicles. There was another vehicle fire out on the road yesterday. I knew the tow operator and he let me look at the engine compartment before he hauled it off. The officer let him hold for a minute after he told him that I have been doing some private research into engine fires. (nothing to publish that hasnšt been said in here and other lists). ---------------------- Clip ------------------------------- I had an MG Midget for about 11 years. The dual SU carb manifold was right over the exhaust header pipes. The carbs mounted through a sheet metal shield that was supposed to keep fuel from dripping onto the hot manifolds. One look at this arrangement would scare the hell out of anybody since the carbs might pop because of low vacuum or stick because of temperature and any number of things could cause leaks. They often smelled of fuel leaks but appeared to NOT be leaking. I saw many of these cars burned out over the years both before I got mine and after I was driving mine. Taught me to carry a nice big fire extinguisher and a couple of 2 liter bottles of club soda (pressurized water source). Then I found the most scary thing in the world ............ worse than the possible fuel drips. The steel brake line was run under the battery. Right! You got it. I nearly had a terrible wreck when the encrusted rust on the brake line finally flaked off and emptied my tiny master cylinder and tiny brake fluid reservoir. This is just my way of encouraging you guys to reconsider that your VW busses and Vanagons are still several notches above many OTHER cars in safety and dependability features.

Stan Wilder Engine Ceramics 214-352-4931 www.engineceramics.com