Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Apr 2005 19:41:22 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Anchorage AK westfalia
Comments: To: Tom Miller <tmiller@VCMAILS.COM>

Tom,

I don't mean to do a "One Up" on Mark, but your comment aobut the coor to be found in Alaska made me thik that Mark didn't even begin to give you an inkling of the color in names to be found up in Alaska. How about "Mr. Whitekeys Club and The Whale Fat Follies!!"(Anchorage) or perhaps the "Malemute Saloon" (Fairbanks), or perhaps "Skinny Dick's Hald-way Inn" about half way between Fairbanks and Nenana on the Parks Highway going down to Mt. Mckinley Parh, or perhaps the "Salty Dawg Saloon" down at Honer out on Homer Spit in Kachemak Bay. There use to be " the Birdhouse Bar" just out of Anchorage on Turnagain Arm out near a place called Indian. The original bar burned some years ago but it was wood slab lumber building with a big ugly blue bird head and neck sticking out front. Interior walls were covered with business cards and the ceiling was decorated with the hanging panties of visiting ladies! There were many more which are long gone into antiquity but there are still a few survivors. There are some that put on a tourist front as soon as the toruism season arrives and convert back to homegrown Alaskan as soon as the last tourist departs. Real Alaskans always like to see the tourists arrive with their boosting of the local economies, but they are also glad to see the last tourist headed south too, so fthey can get back to living like real Alaskans.

BTW, would you have any idea what happiness was to a real Alaskan back in the Alaska Pipeline Days - the 1970's??

It was a pointy-toed Texan headed south with an Oakie under each arm!!

Not to slam on Texans and Okies to hard, you understand. Real Alaskans just felt over-run with oil country folk!! :-)

Anyway, I lived up there for 30 years myself, and if there is one thing I have learned about the country, it is that if you have live there for two years, your feet are frozen in it forever - (your heart is always there, no matter where you are).

Best Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver Chelsea, AL