Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Apr 2005 23:12:17 -0400
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Hitches, Racks, and Stereos?
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>

I have to admit I'm curious about the hitch you made.

I have a hitch on my camper of the bolt to the tow hook type. I like it a lot. I haven't exceeded it's (presumed) limits of 1500 pounds capacity 150 tongue weight, though I continue to contemplate doing so (of course with my upgraded brakes I don't have any doubts with my braking capability.)

So far none of the "upgraded" hitches appeal to me. The weld to the tow hook variety isn't all that much different than what I have (IMHO). I'm not convinced yet that I want to go the bull bar route ala GoWesty or Gary Lee's. The South African style bumper carrier integrated hitch has the capacity (and I have that hitch on the Gold Brick), but it isn't nearly as elegant as the receiver hitch type.

I'd like a modified South African type, with a 2 inch receiver hitch instead of the J hook ball. Maybe that's what I'll have to do, get the South African type and redo it so as to add the receiver.