Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Apr 2005 21:36:48 -0700
From:         Jere Hawn <jghawn@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: New head replacement, bad gas mileage...

I would first look for gas leaks between the pump and the engine then I would do a compression check. Then the usual cap, rotor, etc...

I too recently replace both heads (yes it took months) but I have better mileage. I'm up to over 20 mpg (90, 2.1, GL/Carat-a-version.) Check the plugs for excessive burn or gunk on them. Also try running an injector cleaner through them for a tank or two. If you are smelling gas then it is either a fuel line leak or incomplete burn, which reminds me that my last battle with this (low mileage) ended up to be plug wires that were arching through. I heard it one day when I had my son open up the hatch and I heard the familiar clicking...

Good luck and keep up posted on the final fix

Jere

90 GL/Carat-a-version

PS it will be a full blown Carat here in a few weeks, only the emblem will be missing.