Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Apr 2005 07:34:01 -0700
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Help removing clutch lever

Yep, driveway hacks are at a big disadvantage in several ways. Most people here asking for advice have not removed one of those levers before and don't know what is involved in replacing it and the cross shaft. To most people the cross shaft looks like part of the tranny and they will fear to aggressively attack it and the lever with the tranny still in the car. Some of us know that the clutch cross shaft is a wear item and we expect to possibly replace it anyway so causing damage to it is not such a big worry. Once the tranny is out you can tell that the clutch shaft is external to the tranny but people here mostly won't know that.

Like you, I have a pile of used trannys and bellhousing as well as new cross shafts and bushings. When I run into one that is a bugger to get apart I'm not worried that I'm going to get in a position where I am stuck after cutting something off or forcing it apart. Most list members don't have a lot of spare tranny pieces so unbolting the clutch slave is the way they should start out. If you can recommend a specific puller that works well for getting those levers off please do as I will buy one.

Mark