Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Apr 2005 00:02:24 -0500
From:         Joel Walker <jwalker17@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: 7-passenger curtain rods?
Comments: To: Alan Watts <alan@DATAX.COM>

> Hi - I have an 87 GL that I'd like to install curtains in. The only > place > I've found the kits is at Go Westy, but their supplier stopped > making them > and they are unsure when they will get more. Does anyone know where > else > to get them?

you could make your own. i bought a set from Z-Products years ago for $130! and was VERY disappointed when i got them ... nice idea, but wasn't worth that much!

over each side window, the top curtain 'rod' was fashioned from an aluminum strip. about 1/16th inch thick (perhaps just a tad more ...3/32nds?), 3/8ths inch wide, and as long as the window + about 2 inches at each end. the ends were the key to the design: the curtain rod was bent twice at each end, so that the flat side bent up (from the interior bus surface) at an angle, then went about 3/4inch and bent back horizonatal again. like the letter Z (at the front end of the rod) but lazy ... flattened out. like __/-- cept the -- is up top of the / the other end was the same thing but in reverse.

ok, so the flat part that fit against the bus interior ceiling (just above the windows) was the __ part. about an inch long or so, it had a hole in it for the sheet metal screw to hold it to the bus.

so you had this long aluminum rod, bent at both ends, and screwed into the bus. aha! forgot the curtains! ;) well, you'd have to find someone who knows how to sew to make the curtains. but i'm reliably told it isn't hard and even a fumble-fingered male such as i could do it. :) the kit i bought had them already made, and they were NOT light-blocking nearly enough. :( so choose your material well ..otherwise, the morning still finds its way into the bus at a rather uncomfortably early hour. :(

that same design took care of the four side windows. now, the sliding door needed special attention to make sure the rod and curtain did NOT interfere with the opening of the door. so you might have to make that one a bit flatter/closer to the 'wall'.

the rear hatch was the buggaboo ... it's such a wide window that the rod bends and sags. so it had an extra support right in the middle. just a sort of Z leg, riveted to the curtain rod, and with the flat foot __ with the screw hole. other than that it was the same as the others.

every window had two curtains that came together in the middle. the kit had a design flaw, in my opinion: the curtains wouldn't STAY together. going to the fabric shop and buying some sew-on velcro fixed that little problem! :)

and if you opened the sliding side windows, the curtains blew all over the place. :( more velcro and some stretch cord to the rescue. the velcro was sewn onto a small loop of cloth that was snap-buttoned on to the wall ... when you opened the curtains, you closed the loop of cloth around the curtain (like a belt) and the velcro kept the loop closed and kept the curtains from flying around. when the curtains were closed, they were held tight to the bus wall by a stretch cord ... not sure what else to call it. you can get it at marine/boat parts places ... might be called 'shock cord'. it's just loooong elastic stuff, about 1/8th inch in diameter. you just run a cord along the bottom of the window, maybe an inch below the bottom of the rubber gasket around the glass, and secure it at both ends to the bus walls. ideally, the curtain would extend a couple of inches below this cord. how to secure it at the ends? really simple! they made a loop at each end, securing the loop to the cord by a crimp-together little thingie of copper ... just a bent-over strip of copper. like crimping a connector on the end of a wire. but you could also sew it with thread ... or just about any other way you can think of. you just need a fixed loop at each end of the cord. and the cord needs to be under a bit of tension ... not much, just a bit. and all you do is get a small washer, and a sheet metal screw, and put the screw through the loop in the cord and into the bus wall. the washer goes between the screw head and the cord loop, and just keeps the loop pressed down so it won't slip off the screw.

and that was it. i figure you could buy the materials for less than $30, curtains included. once you see the rod with the bends at the end, it all makes sense. ;)

hope it helps. good luck! joel