Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Apr 2005 22:52:31 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: 185 vs 195 tire question
Comments: cc: Richard A Jones <jones@COLORADO.EDU>

> Hankook makes a 185R14 tire and a 195R14 tire. Both are > substantial enuf for Vanagons: 102 and 106 LI. Both fit on > stock 14" steel wheel. > > The 195 is 2.7% taller (diameter) and 2.8% less in revs/ > mile. But it is 7.8% wider. > > I'm thinking that 2.7-2.8% isn't much, but I'd like that > 7.8% wider. (I'm not worrying about my speedo, which > reads too far under for the 195 to correct!) > > Does anyone have direct experience and can offer comments > or opinions about this?

I don't know if this is coincidence, or if it results from a call from our shop, as we've been contacting customers who have Hankook 185's on order.

As you know, I have been a big proponent of the Hankook tires, having used them for years, and now started selling them. Unfortunately, our Bus/Vanagon sales volume took Hankook USA completely by surprise, and I sold all they had in the U.S. They have more en route from the factory, but it's taking longer than they had originally anticipated. (They first said 2-3 weeks, now it looks like another 4-6)

As a result, they have offered me their 195R14 for the same price in the meantime. (Usually it is $10 more per tire.) This is the identical tire, except that its slightly larger size actually provides a slight increase in load capacity (2094 lbs vs. 1874). The size difference is roughly half an inch, so it's not dramatically different. The only real negative that I can see is that this diameter difference will cause your speedo to read 2.5% too low (so if your speedo says 60 mph, you're actually going 61.5). Of course this assumes that your speedo is dead-on to begin with; on old busses or Vanagons, a mere 2.5% fluxuation may be the least of your worries! :-)

Personally I don't see a major advantage or drawback to using this tire instead of the 185, given the relatively small size difference. The main drawback would have been the $40 per set price difference, if it weren't for the fact that Hankook is waiving that price difference for the time being. Some people even prefer a slightly larger tire, as it slightly reduces engine revs at high speed and slightly increases ground clearance (although both differences are quite small, and in my opinion negligable). Of course the 195R14 size is technically not what the Vanagon calls for, so I suppose that should be clearly noted.

On the other hand, for those who do want a slightly larger tire, this temporary offer makes these a pretty good deal. And for those who need tires now and can't wait 4-6 weeks, the Hankooks' excellent performance may make the size change worthwhile, compared to inferior 185R14's for more money. (This is the tire that outperformed the much more expensive Michelin Agilis in an independent German road test.)

I don't normally carry many of the Hankook 195R14's, because for $40 more per set than the 185's there isn't much call for them. But I'm going to take Hankook up on their offer to give them to me at the same price, and stock them for the next month or so, or while supplies last at this price. I should have them a week from Monday (give or take a day).

Link:

http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=RA08195

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT