Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Apr 2005 16:35:09 -0500
From:         Al and Sue Brase <albeeee@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Pull engine and tranny together?
Comments: To: jimt <camper@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>

Actually, I just put a 4 speed into the 82 diesel last week. I just get the rear end as high as I can on stands and do it by hand. Not sure what they weigh, but not very much, 90lb. or so I'd guess. The diesel is almost perfectly balanced on its mounts, only needs the slightest support. WBX and air-cooled are hung from the rear, so will need some support. I prefer to use some old scissors jack with ratcheting box-end wrench- that way I can do 1 hand adjustments while I start bolts with the other hand. I almost invariably work alone, and always think long and hard about the time I laid under an 82 Volvo with the 4 speed plus overdrive unit on my chest doing Yoga breathing exercises. (While wondering if anyone would come to my funeral!) Lifting the Vanagon trans into place by hand is pretty easy for me.(I guess practice makes perfect- probably done 20 over the years.) I lay a sheet cardboard on the ground, get the trans over under the left rear control arm, laying on its left side, just roll over onto my left side and give it a bear hug, then roll over onto my back with it on my chest. Next step, I get the bellhousing up into place with the nose cone still trying to hurt my belly. once it's stuck up there, I can get a free hand and raise the nose with my left hand. . It is necessary to have the alignment rather close, then shove the thing back. It should slide nearly completely in. If it does not, wiggle the nose in small circles to find the sweet spot. (IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOT LET IT DANGLE BY ITS OWN WEIGHT!) Then get a bolt in, get it in 3 threads before you let go of the trans's weight. IF you must draw the engine and trans together, do not pull very hard. If it takes more than light pressure, there is something wrong. If you try to do this, it would be good to use coat hanger wire to hold the axles out of the way. I pull them up and back as far as I can. This is kind of a taxing job and you don't need anything in your way. I am often surprise at how easy this is. I think anyone with good upper body strength can handle it. Using a tranny jack just doesn't seem logical to me. Al Brase