Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Apr 2005 17:58:21 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: removing engine studs: more questions
Comments: To: Wesley Alden Pegden <wes@CS.UCHICAGO.EDU>

Operating the engine with the exhaust pipes missing is a great way to warp valves and possibly cause a fire. Have it towed. If you want to do the weld thing yourself, I suggest a small MIG welder. Works great in cramped quarters, requires little skill. And 110 v welders are available at reasonable cost. Read up on it. Welding for stud removal has a number of advantages. Besides having a nut that can be gripped with a wrench, the fast, localized heating will heat the stud without much transfer to the head. The quick expansion will stretch the threads in the head and the stud will "usually" thread right out.

Dennis