Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Apr 2005 10:12:23 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: NEED GAS TANK

> Very few modern-fuel injected cars have filters before the > pump. The main problem with a pre pump filter is that any > restriction on the suction side of the pump will create a > vacuum and cause the fuel to vaporize or even boil at the > pump inlet. Particularly in warm weather this can create > vapor lock problems, intermittent, unexplained fuel > starvation etc. This is probably why VW discontinued the pre > pump filter although vapor lock is rare on these vehicles. It > is a major nightmare on some of the CIS cars.

True, but as you say, not on Vanagons Virtually every fuel injected Bus or Vanagon has this configuration (all fuel injected busses and almost all Vanagons except mid 1990 to 1991), yet vapor lock is almost never reported on either the Type2 or Vanagon lists. If this were even a remotely common issue on Vanagons we'd be hearing about it often, or at least sometimes. (Also, I've never had a customer who added a pre-pump filter and then reported a vapor lock problem.) I think this is a case where VW was simply "fixing something that wasn't broke." However, I recall reading on the list that VW offers a small bypass hose that does the same job (different inlet and outlet size) for those who prefer that route, although I'm not sure of the part number. (Also I have a sample coming of what the supplier _thinks_ may be an aftermarket 90-91 tank. If they do offer it I'll keep one or two on hand. But I am not confident that this is really what it will turn out to be. I think it may be a European spec tank.)

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT