Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Apr 2005 18:41:17 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: '80 ac vangon exhaust

> Has anyone ordered this exhaust from BD recently? Does it > come with everything in the pic? Gaskets, tail pipe, etc. > I'm assuming from the picture that is bolts directly to the > exchangers - no need for the 'J' pipe. > > http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=071251053EK

> That picture isn't for an 80-83 Air Cooled. > The Air cooled requires a few more pieces. > Attached is a California only system picture. > The 80-83 Air Cooled requires: 1) The crossover, 2)The Cat, > 3)The muffler, 4)the tail pipe, 5)the hanger bracket, 6)the > heat shield above the muffler. > http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=071251053CK > That is for the 80-83 system.

Actually, you're both right. One is U.S. spec, one European spec. The second one, that Stan linked, is the U.S. spec system for a '79 Bus or aircooled Vanagon (except California emissions models, which would require a 49-state left heater box in order for this to fit). The first one, that Jamie linked, is the European spec system for a '79 Bus or aircooled Vanagon (also used on '72-74 busses in the U.S.). Europe got a much simpler setup than we did because no emissions control devices were required there. As the site notes, the cheaper setup will fit an aircooled Vanagon, but it does not allow for a cat converter or EGR filter. This means that you could fail inspection, as a Vanagon is supposed to have a CAT. (Of course real-world enforcement of this varies dramatically by region, which is why you'll find a fair number of Vanagons on the road that have non-catalyst setups on them. Around here I can't remember the last time I saw an aircooled Vanagon or Bus with a CAT on it, but don't try that in California! :-) As for quality, both systems are comparable and of very good quality, made by top quality suppliers such as Ansa, Bosal, Ernst, Jopex, etc. The best (and most environmentally friendly) choice is to go with the stock catalyst setup. But if you do opt for a non-catalyst setup, the one linked above is by FAR the highest quality one available; original-equipment quality, and dramatically superior to any of the aftermarket one-piece or 'extractor' systems.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT