Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Apr 2005 11:57:09 -0600
From:         bueses <bueses@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon stalling problem
Comments: To: samc <samc@SURFGLOBAL.NET>

> When I turned 50, and realized ........ Now, I'm failing competently at > retirement..........

> My thought about such simple idiocy as mid-life walk-abouts is that it was > important for me to do as a time for re-defining the fellow I am, have been > and want to be ... Nothing particularly profound ... just feeling that life is > one helluva hoot and, as my grandmother who raised me said a few time... "Life > is good, give it back and make the best use of it." > > Hope this isn't more than you wanted to know ... Just sort of fun to describe > the process ... wsith but one additional thought: You've got to be willing to > not depend on someone for company all the time, take it when it comes, but > spend time just laying around, contemplating you navel, and checking out to > make sure you're not going nuts once in awhile ...

I would agree w/ the age 50 midlife crisis scenario. Glad you did what you did. My reaction to the crisis 6 years ago when I turned 50 was to get back into VW buses, after not having 1 since my 2nd year in college back in the late 60's. I now have 3, would get more if the SO didn't buy a new house/ bring home new dogs, etc. every time I bring another 1 home.

I really envy your commitment to get away & rethink your life. I have only done this on a part time basis, going to bus campouts/shows all over the country, but for only 3-9 days at a time. Unfortunately, I have never taken off for more than 2 weeks at a time, & at that only a couple of times, & I know I have really missed out on "smelling the roses'. It takes discipline to give it all up or organize your life so that you can hit the road for extended periods. I need to do that, & envy those that are able to balance their lives in that manner! I have my own private practice & could leave the office to my very competent staff/partner, but instead I only daydream of making the journey to Tierra Del Fuego or Capetown in the Westy.

Thanks for sharing.

Tom Buese