Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Apr 2005 22:53:41 -0400
From:         Greg Potts <Greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA>
Subject:      Xbox Xperiment (was Re: CDN Tire Inverter questions)
Comments: To: Malcolm Stebbins <mwstebbins@YAHOO.COM>

Hi Malcolm,

I did some testing recently with my Canadian Tire 400W Digital Power Inverter, and thought I'd share my results.

XPERIMENT: Test the wattage draw of an X-Box and Television used with a digital power inverter in a Westfakia camper.

EQUIPMENT: Mastercraft 400W Digital Inverter. Inexpensive Walmart 13" color TV. Microsoft X-Box Gaming Console. Halo 2 Game disc. Possibly the best first-person shooter ever coded. 14W compact fluorescent light bulb. 60W incandescent light bulb. VW Bus.

PROCEDURE: I put the XBox and TV in the bus and powered them with a MasterCraft 400W digital inverter.

TV on its own - 20~30 Watts. TV plus Xbox - 80~100Watts.

Hmm... This was much less than anticipated. In order to verify the accuracy of the gauge I went in the house to get some lightbulbs.

Adding a 14W compact fluorescent brought the total up to 100-120W. Adding a 60W light bulb took the total up to 150~160W.

After less than 30 seconds at 150W the inverter crashed. A repeated test gave a consistent result. This led me to suspect that perhaps the readout on the inverter was inaccurate. So I unplugged the Xbox and calibrated the inverter's display using the lightbulbs....

Running the 60W light alone the inverter read 60W. Running the 14W light alone read 10~20W.

After the experiment the inverter was disconnected and the Xbox was brought back into the house. The TV remained where it was until we got back from EveryBus.

CONCLUSIONS

1. The digital readout on the inverter only reports multiples of 10 for wattage, but it is reasonably accurate.

2. My 400W inverter will not come close to running a sustained load of even half its rated output. A laptop might just barely run on a 300W inverter. This is consistent with reports from other inverter users I know.

3. The power requirement ratings on the back of the X-Box (2.1A@100-127V) and TV set ( 57Watts @ 110V) are as highly over-rated as the inverter's output.

4. A 400W inverter will be adequate for use with a TV and Xbox, as long as you don't run a 60W light bulb at the same time.

5. Compact fluorescent bulbs are recommended both for their impact resistance and their low power consumption. Or use a full-size fluorescent if you have room, as the 36" tube on the westrailer only pulls 30W.

Happy Trails,

Greg Potts Toronto, Ontario, Canada

1973/74/79 Westfakia Conversion **Bob the Tomato** LY3H 1977 Sunroof Automatic L63H/L90D 1988 Vanagon GL 8-passenger Automatic http://www.pottsfamily.ca/westfakia http://www.busesofthecorn.com