Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Apr 2005 18:07:54 -0400
From:         John Lauterbach <lauterba@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: vanagon Digest - 14 Apr 2005 to 15 Apr 2005 - Special issue
              (#2005-308)
Comments: To: Jonathan Poole <jfpoolio@GMAIL.COM>

Before I would let anyone touch my Vanagon, I would want to make sure I was dealing with the best shop in the area.

John ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jonathan Poole" <jfpoolio@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, April 15, 2005 5:57 PM Subject: Re: vanagon Digest - 14 Apr 2005 to 15 Apr 2005 - Special issue (#2005-308)

Howdy List,

A few days ago my buddy backed into the front of my van. It just so happens that his girlfriend is an autobody woman and that she is in business with her father etc. I have agreed to let them fix the dent and respray the front of the bus. I have a few questions for you experts out there though.

Today when dent expert spent a half hour or so trying to smooth the dent out. He got it fairly close but explained that due to stretching it will be impossible to get the panel smoothed out again. Is this true? Is there a way to avoid filling in the depressions with body filler? At this point it will need a decent amount of filling which I am not happy about.

Do any of you have the paint codes from '82? It is a brown 82 westy,, Assuan Brown may be the name of the color.. Anyway it is the really common early eighties brown.

Do any of you have any advice on getting this panel right again (in between the front bumper and the grill,, aircooled so no lower grill)? I really hate the idea of having a permanently devalued camper..

Thanks, Jonathan Poole '82 AC Westy