Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Apr 2005 19:13:49 -0400
From:         Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Valve clearance not at tdc?
Comments: To: Nate Saylor <nates@IMPULSE.NET>

The cylinders are laid out thusly:

3 1

4 2

The spark plug wires on the right side (#1 and #2) cross after they leave the distributor ... so ... the DISTRIBUTOR posts are laid out thusly:

(3) (2)

(4) (1)

The firing order is 1-4-3-2

Once you determine that #1 is at TDC ... then you can rotate counter clockwise to #2 ... then counter clockwise to #3 ... then counter clockwise to #4. That way you can adjust the two on the passenger side then the two on the driver's side.

If you rotate clockwise you'll be doing one on the passenger side ... then the two on the driver's side then going back to the passenger side. Most think doing one side then the other is easier hence the counter clockwise method.

Mike

Nate Saylor wrote: > Well my adjustment cycle is ongoing now. I clearanced the valves as per > Bob's method. Once the lifters were pumped up I zerod them. but the > odd thing is that when I zero passenger rear (I go by the rotor > location, coupled with the marks on the pully) and move to the passenger > front (next in line counter clockwise), I get clearance on one of the > passenger rear valves. Why is this??? Am I going in the wrong order? > I'm thinking this is why I have so much noise in my valve train. > > -Nate >