Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Apr 2005 09:41:50 -0700
From:         Larry Chase <roadguy@ROADHAUS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Coast toCoast!
Comments: To: refisher@MCHSI.COM

Robert, I was trying to keep quiet about this little tidbit .... but here goes. Canadian Border Crossings .... "Full Disclosure" I made three crossings on the Western side .... no problems ... except one time I was delayed over an hour when the asked me to "Net Worth". The concern expressed was "we need to know if you have enough financial resourses to remove your vehicle from Country in case it brakes down. I may have jokingly said "it's a VW, they always break down but we work thru it. I don't think that helped. They wanted to see a bank statement which I didn't have, of course. Oddly what may have finally helped .... I explained that I was on a long term driveabout and had a web site (roadhaus.com) to document the travels. The agent excused himself and disappeared for 30-40 minutes and when he reappeared, he said "OK .. you are free to go and have a nice visit". The Eastern Passages the following year were a little different. Remember I had already crossed over 3 times in the Western Canada and 3-4 times in Mexico. Anyway ,,, the first time across in the East ... as I was trying to nurse that sick and dying engine over to Frank's Bus Fusion Event in Ottawa and Ben's offer to help install a rebuilt waserboxer in Montreal .... I got asked a very interesting question by the Canadian Border agent. "Are you male or female?" Excuse me I replied. This time he rephrased the question, perhaps thinking that English wasn't my native tongue "Are you a man or woman". Well I'm obviously a Man, I replied somewhat confused and a little unsure of myself. Not according to your Drivers License the agent promptly shot back. Needless to say it took a while that day and on the return crossing several weeks later ... when the US Customs spotted the same thing, ( I think it was flagged in the computer) to straighten out that mess. BTW .... the questionable drivers license was issued in AZ two years prior ... never once did I notice the error. Yes to anyone still following this ..... it was an error. Although I have always been strangely in touch with my feminine side. Footnote ... I still have the same AZ license ... can't bear to part with it till it expires in 20012. So you might not want to follow me across any borders. Larry Chase www.roadhaus.com <http://www.roadhaus.com/> <file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Roadguy/Application%20Data/Microsoft/ Signatures/www.roadhaus.com/shops.html> www.roadhaus.com/shops.html www.roadhaus.com/music.html www.roadhaus.com/recipes.html www.roadhaus.com/store.html - - -