Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:59:33 -0400
From:         Sam Walters <sam.cooks@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: O2 Sensor in Catalytic Converter - Correct model for each FI
              system ?

The original catalytic converter for an 84, and all 1.9l Digijet models, did not have an O2 sensor hole. The O2 sensor was upstream in the collector pipe.

The original catalytic converter for 86 and up Vanagons, at all 2.1l Digifant models, did have an O2 sensor hole and no hole in the J pipe.

So, I started to respond to the original email of this thread by asserting that Bus Depot had sent the wrong part, but decided to do a bit of research first, figuring that Ron might know something I didn't or that may either would work for the Digijet system, etc.

Bus Depot and VolksCafe sell only one catalytic converter and their search engines return that part when you search either for a Digijet or Digifant model Vanagon. It has the O2 sensor hole in it. Bus Depot's e-store shows you that the same Cat is specified for over a dozen different VW models, both California approved and "regular" systems.

On the other hand, VanAgain, VW Parts Central, GoWesty, and BowWow all sell two types of catalytic converter, one for the Digijet and one for the Digifant. Some even give you a choice of makes for one or both of the systems.

Prices vary considerably, ranging from $99.95 to $199.95. Odds are that most regular readers of the list can make a good guess who has the lowest and highest prices. Some sites report list price as being close to $1000, so from that perspective, all of these prices are good.

My guess, particularly after reading Mike Collum's post, is that the Cat for the Digifant systems does the job for a Digijet system when the hole is plugged properly. And, I would conclude that it isn't true the other way around as you need the Cat with the O2 sensor plug in it for proper operation of the Digifant system.

But, will one of you who are more knowledgeable than I, clarify that either will do equally well in the Digijet system, if indeed this is the case, and that you have to use the correct one with the Digifant system.

Since two people had the plug blow out, what is the plug you were sent made of and how is it tightened.

Maybe we have covered this before, but I don't remember it coming up.

Sam

-- Sam Walters Baltimore, MD

89 Syncro GL 85 Westy Weekender

All incoming and outgoing email scanned by automatically updated copy of Norton AntiVirus.