Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Apr 2005 21:35:11 -0700
Subject:      Re: Diesel Fuel vs Gasoline
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>

Well, there are several reasons why Diesel is better than Gasoline - at least for the Vanagon...

I got my 2.1L 112hp 10.5:1cr "DJ" wasserboxer equipped Syncro Westfalia back on the road this weekend. This is the most powerful gasoline engine next to the Oettenger 6 that was offered for the Vanagon. I will still take a 1.9L 90hp TDI any day of the week. Why? Four reasons - more power & torque, better economy, simpler to repair and dollars per upgraded power.

Power and torque. The 90hp TDI has more torque and more horsepower than the 112hp wasserboxer. Now you are all saying 112 is greater than 90 so that crazy Canuck is wrong, but to the contrary - the TDI has more horse power at the lower ranges (idle to 3500rpm) than the DJ engine and even higher in the RPM range if you compare it to the MV engine that was sold in North America. The wasserboxer make more horsepower above 3500 RPM which for the most part we don't drive at those speeds as this is the neighbourhood where the green runs out on our tachs! The TDI outright as more torque at all RPMs. The MV has around 120ft.lbs at 3200RPM which is respectable and the TDI has around 150ft.lbs at 1900 RPM which is impressive - at every RPM range on the TDI right up to red line there is significantly more torque. Horse power is what sells vehicles, but you drive them with torque. I can drive from Quesnel to Vancouver entirely in 4th gear - can't be done with a wasserboxer.

Economy. My 2.1L takes about 13L to 14L per 100km - my TDI takes about 9L to 10L per 100km. Here Diesel is $0.919 per liter and Premium gasoline (required for the DJ and the clean running of a MV) is $1.099 per liter. To drive 100km in my DJ is about $15.50. To drive 100km in my TDI is about $9.50. More than 33% farther per dollar. In the US I am noticing that Diesel is about he same price as Premium for some reason - Premium is very refined and Diesel is a few step above crude oil... strange... anyhow you still get more distance per dollar. And let's not even get started with how inexpensive running straight veggie oil is! Sorry... can't beat the petroleum companies with the gasoline engines.

Repair. Let's face it, there are more TDIs on the road than wasserboxers. And that means more shops that can fix TDIs should something go wrong. A lot of VW dealerships will turn away our troublesome wasserboxers as there is no place to plug the diagnostic computer into it and the technicians haven't a clue. The TDI engine on the other had is common knowledge to a lot of shops and there are lots of parts out there for them - safety in numbers! How often do you hear of TDIs with low oil pressure or leaking head gaskets?

Dollars per upgraded power. I'll admit, my TDI is not stock, I have added some larger injector nozzles from the I5 150hp TDI (0.216mm holes up from 0.184mm) - this modification cost about 250 bucks and most shops and back yard guys familiar with Diesels can install the larger nozzles in about 2h. This alone will get you from 90hp to about 130hp and from 150ft.lbs torque to almost 250ft.lbs. Add a some custom software to the mix and you are at 150hp and almost 300ft.lbs of toque - the later solution at another $300 to the bill - so call it $600 gets to a *significant* power increase and the fuel economy stays the same or even slightly better assuming you can keep your foot out of it. Even driving HARD like I do makes it a lot cheaper than the wassboxer per distance covered and a LOT more fun too! Dump $600 into your wasserboxer and what will you get... not a 50% increase in power!

Yes, I am biased towards Diesels, but, I feel I have lots of good support for the bias.

David Marshall

Fast Forward Automotive Inc. 4356 Quesnel-Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3

http://www.fastforward.ca mailto:sales@fastforward.ca Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160

- Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions - Vanagon, Transporter and Iltis Sales and Importation - European Lighting for most Volkswagen models

Due to the large volume of email we receive, PLEASE include previous emails when responding. This will allow us to read the complete dialogue in one message and will result in quicker and more accurate responses.