Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Apr 2005 11:16:23 -0600
From:         jimt <camper@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>
Subject:      Re: Air-cooled to Water-cooled? --long read for those
              contemplating
Comments: To: "mountainroad@rmi.net" <mountainroad@RMI.NET>

On 4/25/05 10:25, "mountainroad@rmi.net" <mountainroad@RMI.NET> wrote:

> I checked through the archives briefly thinking that this topic must have > come up in the past, but I am looking to replace my 82 air-cooled engine > (3rd!) with something else. > > As I see it, I have three alternatives: > > 1) Re-engineered air-cooled (bored out, new cam, etc) > 2) Vanagon water-cooled engine > 3) Subaru > > I have two questions to help me make my choice. > > 1) What problems should I expect in putting in the radiator? I > understand the '82 bocy style had a water-cooled option and therefore would > make it tedious but not impossible > > 2) Are there any re-build options to make the air-cooled engine last? > > thanks! > > Eric - Colorado springs

My 82 was air cooled to start but is now a subie mod with a custom rad. The situations below can be used for about any mod to the aircooled van.

1. to go from an air cooled to water you will need tools and skills in several areas and the level of those skills and tools available will determine the down time for mod. Modifying a van that is already a WB is much easier and quicker but see the final note before the sig. On my conversion 1. cut the holes for the rad 2. made rad mount points. (or obtain water cooled mounts to include the piece up at the air intake. 3. removed aux air heater and started my runs of water for the rad using combination of copper pipe and universal rad hoses using the tunnel and mount points for the aux air heater path. 4. obtained the water cooled burp tank. 5. obtained a heater for under the rear seat and started its plumbing. 6. mounted and connected the radiator and connected up the fans and switches. 7. prepped my engine for the actual install double checking everything with basically a dry run as if I was going to install and running through each step. 8 made changes based on what happened in that run.

///all of the above was done with a fully functioning vanagon.

For the steps that would shut me down.

1. stock piled way more hose connections/clamps/tubing/screw/fasteners/ than I though I would possibly need based on my dry run test. 2. removed AC engine. 3. started the modifications to the engine bay. (because a WB engine tran sits different than the AC tran and engine by about 2 inches) this step will vary by what engine you mod with. 4. finished my cuts to the firewall and finished most of the edges. Put in mount points for grounds and cable runs. Verified my mounting points for the engine. 5. fixed and cleaned up anything in there that needed it while I was there. Like a new throw out bearing while it is all open. Fuel return and supply lines and other. 6. mounted engine to tran and hoisted into place SLOWLY. This is to make sure of everything is correct before costly or dangerous BOO BOO! 7. Fastened engine in new mount position and double checked everything for that stage. 8. connected the rear heater lines 9. final fabrications and connecting of the radiator lines. 10. final inspect of the cooling system and filled at that time. 1.5 gallons water with 1.5 gallons coolant. 11.mounted my ECU and relays and other items like that and verified my wires were not in danger anywhere. 12 finished fabrication stuff for exhaust and mounted exhaust. 13. using a checklist I did up I inspected my install. 14 reconnected battery 15. turned key to on and checked power on circuits. All good so turned back off and connected the fuel pump. 16. turned key on and then to start. 17. was extremely shocked and elated that it started almost immediately.

The stuff in the van in operational condition took several days. The planning stages took several days of rechecking. The actual install was started at 10am and finished to the step 11 above at about 6pm. Then did a clean up and then started up again at about 10am in the morning finished up by noon. Was test driving by 1230pm.

About 2 months later taking an entire day did the final step of the mod. This is the hardest part by far. 1. remove dash 2. remove the air cooled blower section 3. install water cooled fan heater core section (bolts right in) 4. run the added heater lines and connect into system. 5. thoroughly inspect every wire and connection under the dash BEFORE putting the dash back in. Have seen many horror stories from that step being skipped.

You will now have a van with rear and front heat with defrost. Very handy in Colorado.

NOTE>>>step not included above because of the extreme amount of variables is a front heater water shutoff valve. This will depend on the type of engine you install and its cooling system design. •••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• jimt Planned insanity is best. Remember that sanity is optional. http://www.tactical-bus.info (tech info) http://www.westydriver.com