Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Apr 2005 15:10:22 EDT
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: to the td conversion people
Comments: To: rallyview@msn.com, Diesel-Vanagon@yahoogroups.com

In a message dated 4/25/05 8:50:03 PM, rallyview@msn.com writes:

> > Just as a matter of discussion I know from reading a copy of sport compact > car in a waiting room that some people running turbos on ford focuses have had > to mount their turbos below the oil pan and have run the oil output to a > secondary sump with an electric pump to push the oil back to the engine sump.  > Advantages:  1, More oil capacity to help the shallow pan 2. cooling is aided > 3. installation is more flexible  4. the foamy oil that comes out of the > turbo is allowed to reliquify before entering the pan which can ensure that the > oil pump doesn't cavitate > Disadvantages: 1 Fabrication 2 expense  3 electrical hassles  4. mounting 5. > etc.... > > the company is "Precision Turbo and Engine in Indiana" found at > http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/projectcars/0406scc_projfocus/< > http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/projectcars/0406scc_projfocus/> "Oil has to drain from the turbo > back into the oil pan. If it has to go uphill, it'll back up into the center > housing, increasing the oil pressure in the turbo and blow past the oil seals, > making a big, oily mess. With the turbo drain below the oil level in the pan, > however, it has to go uphill. PTE solves this problem by letting oil drain > into a billet-aluminum sump bolted to the turbo and then pumping it uphill > with an electric pump."  > > Just a thought.  I guess it doesn't help with the mount issues which seem to > be coming along. > I agree! I've covered this in the past in posts to the vanagon list on my turbocharger addition to the Audi 3A engine. I put together an intermediate sump just below the turbo and with its base at the same level as the bottom of the oil pan. I then rigged a scavenger pump and mounted it in the A2 power steering position. This withdrew oil from the intermediate sump and sent the oil through an external oil cooler, then back into the engine sump reservoir. In my TDi install, I have tapped into the original side boss cast into the block for an oil return above the static sump level. All fits with the VNT KK03 turbo and manifold.

There are many on the list who note that VW used an oil pan return for the Vanagon and G/J TD's in violation of these well established guidelines. Note that the turbo oil return on the VW 1.6TD use an aerator to remove the gas from the foamed oil. Perhaps the oil flow rate is low enough that it works. Doesn't compute for me. Also note that for the AAZ and TDi engines mounted transversely and longitudinally, they went to a conventional side wall return above sump. I suspect scavenger pump part costs for the small Vanagon TD run didn't exceed the warranty repair costs.

Frank Grunthaner