Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Apr 2005 14:13:06 -0400
From:         Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Ran out of gas ....now won't start ??

It doesnt take much to plug up a vanagon filter.I've done it several times in 25,000 miles. When I cut the plugged filter apart, I can see fine sand .Not even a third as much as I might find on a sheet of sand paper,10 inches square.Amazing! A new filter always fixes the noise that indicated a plug.Did you have this noise? To stop an engine from running in a matter of seconds,like yours, must indicate a lot of crud sucked into the pump.Cant understand why you havent had frequent filter problems? From reading about this on the list(the list is a best seller)you may have torn up rubber gaskets on the 2 expansion tanks that are in the front wheel wells.The tires kick up sand from the road and it gets into the gas tank via these bad gaskets.Sometimes by the pound.I understand that this gasket is obscure and that one must go to a VW dealer to get it.Even so, it only cost about 2 or 3 dollars.Pocket change for once-right! If not the filter, I would guess , the pump.I've run my vanagon out of gas a couple of times, and the pump survived to come back and mennis my again.If you do need a new pump, and dont want to spend all that money($180)for a new one, try ebay. they currently have about 4 pumps for sale-cheep.One last possiability , I can see(knowing the vanagon) that you may not have been out of gas. The van just stopped runing when you were only low on gas.To mock you , it did this in front of a gas station.Vanagons are crafty.Gotta take that into consideration here. When I run out of gas, the van wont move, but the moter will run for a few minutes. There is no gas in the tank, but there is still fuel in the lines. Fuel pressure goes down as the moter uses up this gas.The engine will run, but will not rev.Check maybe a fuse.A lot of current draw from a plugged pump may be enouth to zap your fuse or relay.Something electrical that will shut your engine down.I like to wiggle wires and disconnect and reattach the ECU.Could it be a coil? Was it raining out?Good luck,Roger.