Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Apr 2005 16:33:49 -0400
From:         Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Installed GO Westy's rear shoulder belt

This morning I installed GO Westy's Rear passenger side shoulder/lap seatbelt, in my '85 Westy, and it was quick and easy. I'm really happy with it.

http://www.gowesty.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=KT-122&Category_Code=

I started by removing all the phillips head screws from the rear panel (2 really small ones, one holding the curtain holddown cord, and one holding the curtain strap/snap. The 2 rearmost snaps in that panel are riveted in and I just left them.

I pulled the forward edge of the panel out far enough to see the white plastic phillips head plug that was fastened to the stock seatbelt pivot point mounting. I wedged one of those phillips "Tips" (the kind that is only about an inch long and inserts into a screwdriver that accepts various tips) between the plastic plug and the panel. I placed a 13mm socket over the spot where the screwdriver tip was wedged and tapped it with my rubber hammer. This caused the blunt end of the screwdriver tip to poke through the panel and the socket kept it from splitting away from the hole. I was able to remove the plastic plug with a phillips stubby.

I then cut the hole a bit larger with a #11 exact-o knife. When I could see the threaded mounting clearly, I held the mounting spacer, that comes with the Go Westy kit, up to the mounting point and drew around it with a pencil. I finished enlarging the hole with the exact-o so that the spacer would go through the panel.

Next I put all the little screws back in the panel except for the one where the curtain tie back snap was because the Go Westy inertia reel was going to cover it. I bolted the inertia reel to the mounting point without tightening it all the way so I could be sure of the angle that the belt needed to take. BTW, the bolt head in the inertia reel takes a 5/8" wrench (go figure).

Using a 17mm wrench, I removed the old lap belt and bolted Go Westy's belt in its place. I sat in the seat ... attached the belt to the receiver and positioned the inertia reel then finished tightening the reel down.

I went back to the rear and, with curtain strap in hand ... decided to take out the tiny screw that was just above where the strap used to attach and screw the strap/snap there. Works great ... looks good.

Mike Houlton, Maine