Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Apr 2005 12:36:59 -0700
From:         James V <tornadored@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Oil drain plug
Comments: To: Shadesof2worlds@CS.COM

On 4/27/05 10:35 AM, "Jim Comer" <Shadesof2worlds@CS.COM> wrote:

> I just bought a 84 gl and everything was great until tune up time ..I found > that the oil drain plug is stripped..Is there anything i can do to fix it > besides tearing the motor down??

I take it the drain plug HOLE is stripped, yeah?

I just went through this just before a 10 day vacation. There's tons of stuff in the archives about this as it's a common problem. There's one post in particular that outlines the options well... But in a nutshell the common repairs, IIRC, are:

a. rethread for a larger drain plug

b. rethread and install helicoil for standard plug

c. rethread w/ Time-Sert type kit

d. rethread w/ spark plug hole repair kit

I heard mixed reviews about the first 2 options, but the latter 2 seemed to work well for most. Both are basically methods to tap the hole to accept a threaded insert into which the drain plug goes. Ideally I think I would have chosen the TimeSert (http://www.timesert.com). Their threaded insert has a collar that looks like would seat well and provide a new smooth surface for the plug flange to seat against. The inserts maybe be available for the stock 14x1.5 plug. But since I needed it immediately, I went w/ the spark plug kit, since they are readily available at most FLAPS.

The $30 kit ("Perma-Plug"), intended of course for spark plugs, seems to function equally well for the drain plug. It includes a tap, threaded inserts of varying length for a 14x1.25 spark plug, and punch tool to seat the insert. You will need to replace the stock M14x1.5 drain plug w/ a M14x1.25 (The finer threads may actually be better suited to the aluminum case?). Pay attention to the size of the gasket flange of the new plug as it is likely bigger than stock and may present fitment issues in the recessed plug hole. The plug I found worked fine. You might also want to pick up several quarts of cheap oil for flushing and oil change.

Procedure is easy following the included instructions. No drilling necessary. The tap actually has 2 sets of threads - the first smaller set is presumably 14x1.25 and helps to align itself w/ the current hole. Even though these threads are finer, it still worked well in my stripped 1.5 hole. Then, further up on the tap are the larger threads which actually tap the hole for the new insert.

I tapped slowly, backing out after each turn or two to release shavings and continually added oil to the filler which also helped drain out the bits along the way. Messy.

Clean hole and insert the threaded insert (w/ some hi-temp silicone) until flush, then use the included punch tool to whack the end a few times which seats/secures the special knurled ends of the insert into the hole (makes sense when you see it).

I also used a dremel and smoothed out around the hole a bit for a better seal.

Use a new fiber or crush washer and install the new 14x1.25 plug. One more oil change for good measures and your good to go. Haven't had it installed long, but it is holding perfectly so far. Took me a couple hours, so it's probably a 30 min. job.

James V