Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Apr 2005 13:11:13 -0700
From:         James Ballen <ballenjames@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Coolant hose wearing due to AC belt
Comments: To: Oxroad@aol.com

Thanks Jeff and everyone who responded...

My van is an '83.5, and my 1.9 setup is the "newer" kind, i suppose, with the "H" pipe, and I have the new style coolant tank w/plastic cap. Interesting that your hose from tank > crossover pipe is so close to the AC belt...I just checked mine out, and I have plenty of clearance there.

I just checked out the tension in the belt again, and it seems fine too...

This never happened before I got my rebuilt motor installed...but first showed itself on my trip out here to chicago from the Bay Area, CA (which was about 4000 miles on the motor). Luckily the groove didn't go all the way through until I just got home the other day and I saw steam coming outta the rear... what happened was that it finally wore enough to where a pinhole sized hole formed and was spitting a small stream of coolant around the engine bay...

My motor mounts seem OK, so I don't think that that is the problem...

Jeff, your idea of a "hose guard" seems like a good one. If I can find an appropriate material for the job, I may go that route. If it continues to be a problem though, I may just remove the belt. and go w/out the AC (although I have a feeling I'm going to really want it here in a month or so)

Always something...which is why i love/get annoyed w/my van...

Also on tap is to install a new fuel pump that i bought, as well as new hose and filter(s)...

FYI, there's a guy on Ebay who will sell you a NOS Bosch fuel pump for $90 i think it was.

thanks all.

James

----Original Message Follows---- From: Oxroad@aol.com To: ballenjames@HOTMAIL.COM CC: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com Subject: Re: Coolant hose wearing due to AC belt Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 02:16:10 EDT

James et al--

I've always had a problem with the A/C belt grooving on the coolant hose. I have an early watercooled--meaning low VIN number 83.5 with the 1.9 L. The real early 83.5 water cooled engines had a different cooling hose set up and different coolant expansion tank. My expansion tank has a metal cap among other differences. (You can check your ETKA to see the alternate hose set up).

The hose set up on mine lends itself to getting hit by the A/C belt even more than the more common 1.9L set up. I'm guessing this is why they changed the system in late 83 or early 84. My system does not have the obsolete "H" pipe or "double T" as it is sometimes called (025 121 438). Although most of the parts I have are obsolete as well, so it helps me feel like I'm part of the gang.

The hose from my expansion tank to the metal crossover pipe is about 1/3 of an inch, if that, from the A/C belt.

Anyway I could go on and on about the hose set up--but it's really not that useful info. since most of you have a later model bus or have "upgraded" to the later 1.9L expansion tank with the obsolete "H" or "double T"

To solve the problem I repalced the grooved coolant hose, then wrapped it with a piece of galvanized metal or some metal sheet i got at the hardware store. It's held in place by two hose clamps. Obviously you don't want to clamp the hose clamps too tight--but tight enough so they don't move. Also make sure the "edge" of the sheet metal wont' be in a position where it will grab the belt.

The sheet metal has a few skids on it from the belt--but honestly no problems with the "system" for about 6 years.

Oh, and I disconnected the A/C belt.

Alright, while I did disconnect the A/C belt recently--it has been hooked up for 6 years and the "hose guards" have worked great.

For those with an 83.5 check your hose set up. When I first noticed the groovy issue I thought at a glance I had the same set up as most busses until I looked more close. So James, I don't know what year your bus is--I think it might be an 83 also if I remember. Maybe it has the odd early set up I have.

Best, Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA