Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:27:49 -0600
From:         jimt <camper@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>
Subject:      Re: Diesel Fuel vs. Gasoline
Comments: To: Gnarlodious <gnarlodious@EARTHLINK.NET>

On 4/27/05 15:49, "Gnarlodious" <gnarlodious@EARTHLINK.NET> wrote:

> > The bottom line IMHO? It's virtually impossible to pricefix when the raw > material is coming from corn and soybean farmers, windmill and solar farms > and cottage industry refiners. > > -- Gnarlie >

A program on last week that was covering the laws of supply and demand on fuels covered a part of a paper that a masters candidate had written on soy/corn based fuels. The price for those fuels would be higher at first than petro and then cheaper as technology and supply channels came on line. But then it would climb again as demand would then start to outrun the supply as federal rules requiring 20 percent or higher mixes kicked in.

BTW BP and Chevron are two of the leading researchers in biofuels. They both predict that diesel could be commercially available in the general market with a bio base in about 5 years. Right now there just arent enough vehicles on the road capable of using the newer fuel to make it cost effective. Most euro diesel engines are capable but many of those same engines in the US market are not. VW and Mercedes have both done extensive, and ongoing, testing of bio blend fuels for gasoline and diesel. Most VW argentine and brazilian vehicles are 20 percent alc/gas capable right now. Ford Brazil vehicles are also in the same category.

There is discussion right now of changing the mandatory alcohol level in fuel up, but the danger is that it is the MTBE group that seems to be winning. Even with it being banned in several states. Some people I correspond with believe we will see 15 percent alcohol gasoline in the next two years. What this is going to do with vehicle warrentee that only cover 10 percent max alcohol is going to be interesting. •••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• jimt Planned insanity is best. Remember that sanity is optional. http://www.tactical-bus.info (tech info) http://www.westydriver.com