Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Apr 2005 08:02:02 -0600
From:         Aaron Pearson <Aaron.Pearson@GXT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Diesel Fuel vs. Gasoline

of course oil companies lobby to effect energy policy. every industry with a nickel to spare does that. and of course their goal is to make money, that's what capitalism is all about. i was arguing about the logic of fixing prices, which is tricky when you don't control most of the market. it's a lot easier to make money by breaking environmental laws, laying off employees, and lying about revenue.

i certainly agree about voters being misinformed.

aaron syncro '87 gl

-----Original Message----- From: Jim Felder [mailto:felder@KNOLOGY.NET] Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 5:43 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Diesel Fuel vs. Gasoline

Come on, now. Your 40% of small companies leaves sixty percent comprising only a handful of international corporations who spend millions, even billions to influence american (and other) politics. The fact that they lobby with money year after year after year means that it's working. They would quit doing it and try something else if they didn't get their way through spending money and other influences. And what other goal do you think they have in mind other than their bottom lines, every quarter and every year?

There may be a number of small companies who are helpless to make policy, but I assure you they are benefiting from the business environment created by those who are not helpless. Maybe if you were a small company you didn't get to sit down with Dick Cheney in 2001 and concoct our current energy policy behind closed doors, but the big guys did.

The american voters are misinformed on the energy issue and virtually every other issue as well. They vote the way big money tells them to vote.

Being misinformed is far worse than being uninformed, because you have so much to learn just to get to the level of stupid.

Jim