Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Apr 2005 12:39:25 -0600
From:         jimt <camper@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>
Subject:      Re: Diesel vs. Gas
Comments: To: Gabriel Ross <gabeross@ORO.NET>

On 4/28/05 12:13, "Gabriel Ross" <gabeross@ORO.NET> wrote:

> Five years ago, the major players were > calling anybody talking about peak oil foolish and crazy environmentalists; > now, their own analysts are saying there is a problem looming. (With > sarcasm) Do you really think so? Think on this: before the "discovery" of > oil, the planet supported around two billion people. Now, the planet's > population is over six billion. What do you imagine will happen when > agri-business doesn't have the energy to continue current production > levels, or get product to market?

Shell oil is heavy into hydrogen research - US Chevron is into bio research - US BP is into bio research on diesel and in modified LPG for vehicles. - Europe and US Suncor is building an alcohol plant - Canada and US

All of the major oil refiners acknowledge that the only way to meet the future Euro and EPA pollution standards is with higher percentages of alcohol in the fuel.

Most of these companies have had their research going for many years but economics have kept it from going to market. With prices now projected to stay in orbit the economics of alternates now become viable.

BTW I know of three people with E85 vehicles that won't use the E85 because they are afraid of it. Old alcohol myths are hard to kill. Personally I think the E15 is going to be in the next year or two and E20+ shortly afterward. The trick is if the automakers can make computers for the variances in fuel grades. VW has acknowledged from their research in south america that it is not an easy thing to do and keep marketable and clean.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• jimt Planned insanity is best. Remember that sanity is optional. http://www.tactical-bus.info (tech info) http://www.westydriver.com