Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:30:50 -0700
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: am I troubleshooting my starter correctly?

The safest way would be to take it to yer FLAPS and let 'em bench test it.

Otherwise, if I'm reading you correctly, you wanted to attach the negative cable to the body of the starter to establish a ground.

Having said that, your question makes me nervous- the time to ask was beforehand; live battery/jumper cables are not the sort of thing you want to do trial-and-error experiments with, not to mention the possibility of setting your battery off like a bomb from making errant sparks.

I saw a battery explode in a Jeep about 50 yards from me- luckily no one was in it. It blew the hood off. It landed about 30 feet in front of the car. It messed up a whole bunch of other things too, but the impressive part was watching that hood sail through air like a Frisbee.

Cya, Robert

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Demarest" <dougdemarest@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2005 2:46 PM Subject: am I troubleshooting my starter correctly?