Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 Apr 2005 11:30:01 -0600
From:         Richard A Jones <jones@COLORADO.EDU>
Subject:      Re: fleece thermal barrier
Comments: To: syncrolist <syncrolist@yahoogroups.com>, Syncro@yahoogroups.com

Several people asked if I had a photo of the fleece thermal barrier that Bob Stevens and I made to keep the lower cabin warmer when the top is popped. No.

But I asked Bob (in Salt Lake) and 20 minutes later I had a photo ready: http://jones.colorado.edu/jones/fleecebarrier.jpg Maybe Bob and I need to get a life away from the computer....

In the picture, the bottom is "front" and the sides are the "sides"--the top (photo) has no snaps and is just tucked in between the two upper bunk cushions. The right side has extra material because Bob just took a blanket he had--again a prototype. We both used iron-on patches to reinforce the fleece where the snaps were to be. Note some "adjustments" in the photo. In the Westy, the base unit of the snap (male part) is screwed to the top of the metal around the pop-top opening--same place the latch and the support arms are fixed.

Having some extra material on the sides is a good idea because you want the fleece stretched somewhat so it doesn't sag and it will pull around the snaps. Some margin of extra material will keep it from making an air gap--which mine has because my fleece piece was smaller.

Again, both of ours were "prototypes" but they work so well that, well, they're good enough. In fact it is amazing how well a thin fleece barrier like this works.

This is not rocket science....

Richard A Jones Boulder, Colorado