Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 Apr 2005 01:16:45 -0400
From:         Shawn Luft <shawnagan@SYMPATICO.CA>
Subject:      1st Startup - Spring 05

Hi Vanagon List, once again. My start up Spring '05 went vary well. The van was parked under a trucker-tarp for 4.5 months in Quebec, Canada in winter temperatures. Although the tarp was covered with snow all winter, there is minimum new rust appeared and body is still in very-good condition. Although I unplugged the battery in autumn '04 it was dead upon startup attempt #1. I hooked up a Canadian-Tire Battery Box to help and it cranked right away on attempt #2. Everything seems good on the van, but maybe battery need water. I took a test drive and picked up an excellent work-table from my uncle on trip #1 2005. The practicality of the vanagon for carrying large-sized items is incredible (even with air-conditioning and the camper-setup in the van!!) READY TO BEGIN SEASON 2005 ! Our plans this year are maybe to drive the van to Abitibti-Quebec -Lac St.Jean (ie: Northern quebec trip then to Lac-St- Jean / Saguenay). Maybe we will see some Beluga Whales ?? My van stats ---> Purchased March '03. TRIPS TAKEN : - Quebec -> Newfoundland '03, - Quebec -> Anticosti Island '04 - Quebec -> Ile Bizard LOCAL '05 - REPAIRS TO DATE : - New spark plugs - New fuel filter - New catalytic converter - New misc. exhaust pipes - New 02 sensor - Clean all electric connections - Re-connect wire to alternator - Rust proofing - New distributor cap & rotor - Two (2) new proper 'C' rater tire - CD player - Fix heater defrost/heat off/off knob - REPAIRS NECESSARY - Fix leaky power steering hose SUCCESSFUL STARTUP 2005!!! Ok happy VWing 2005 Best regards, Shawn Montreal, Qc. P.S MY 73 bus started up even better in March '05, and didn't even need a charge of battery.