Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 Apr 2005 06:46:52 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: NVC Friday Question: why do we use the term "dino"?
Comments: To: Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>

I remember years ago in school growing up, being taught that coal came from plants, oil came from dinosaurs, basically. Then Sinclair Oil came out with their Dinosaur logo. Sort of tied it all together. It's been that any lubricant made from crude oil from the ground is "Dino" ever since. Now it.s more of a colloqualism to conveniently refer to such products.

As far as dinosaurs and oil go, "Dino" for crude oil in this day and age is prol'ly not correct - but I don't know the science of crude, so it works for me, and gets the message across.

Can't help but wonder though. As much crude as there is in the earth, there must have been an awful lot of dinosaurs!!!

BTW, I no longer run "Dino" lubricants, only "Synth"!

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver