Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 Apr 2005 22:12:52 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Exhaust port bolt size needed
Comments: To: Dan Krautkremer <kd5ceu@YAHOO.COM>

This is not a job for the faint of heart or in-experienced. The only thing worse than breaking off a bit is breaking an "Easy-Out" or tap. You can try carbide bits, but I think you will need a die grinder and some carbide bits to cut the remains out. You don't use taps to remove a bolt and the drill size is critical before using a tap. A 6mm bolt will not hold the exhaust properly. I suggest finding some one to get this bolt out or plan to remove the head. It can get ugly.

Dennis

Thanx for all the replies. Ya'll been a great help. I have two more questions: While drilling out one bolt, I broke a drill bit. Is there a type of drill bit that will drill thru the broken bit? If not, what is the easiest way to get it out? I drilled out the other bolt. I used up to a 3/16, and i figured that would try to use a tap to remove the bolt. I started with a 6mm, I was going to work my way up to a 8mm. My question is why can't just leave the 6mm hole alone and use a 6mm bolt. Any suggestions...

Danno Delaware Water Gap, PA 89' Jetta 86' Vanagon 79' Rocco'