Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Apr 2005 10:20:27 -0600
From:         Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Utah trip report & photos
Comments: To: syncrolist <syncrolist@yahoogroups.com>, Syncro@yahoogroups.com

"> I met Bob Stevens last week for some mtn biking > in the San Rafael Swell of Utah. > http://jones.colorado.edu/jones/Utah05-2"

Just a great report Richard. Makes me jones (no pun intended) for being back in the Swell, just not in Iron Wash! ;>) Sure loved the camp site perch we had, though. .. what a massive grunt of a ride ... for human powered bikes anyway. The few motorcycles we saw cruised right up the sandy, rocky, ledgy terrain no problemo.

Here's a link to my adjunct photo's for that trip: http://groups.msn.com/BobsPhotoShare/sanrafaelswellapril2124.msnw

Being able to access our first campsite near Temple Mountain, by driving down a short, rocky, twisting trail, across a stream bed and up a deep, sandy slope-road, put us in an area that we had exclusively, in "the culdesac". Richard was the gate-keeper, directing the ATV traffic away from our campsite. Funny event! The large Campers and 5th wheels couldn't get across to that area.

And Richard's mention of that fleece thermal barrier as an effective heat-trapper, is right on. I've just got to get a Propex heater to have a more effective heater. The "sweat" that the catalytic causes won't be missed by me once I get a better heater in there. Some examples of the temp differential: it was 36 outside, and 62 inside. Unsnap one snap, put my hand through the gap to the area above the fleece blanket and that temp difference is INSIDE THE VAN, but separated by the blanket. It's a nice way to be able to use the upper bed as storage for my stuff, keeping the top up, but still having a warm and cozy environment in the sleeping and living space.

The most moving feature of this area for me is the San Rafael Reef bordering the west side of this 50 mile long, 30 mile wide geologic formation. I-70 cuts east/west through about the north/south middle of the Swell, and the fins of the reef are "tipped" up toward the west. Driving through that is a moving, beautiful experience.

Thanks for the fun trip Richard.

Bob