Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Apr 2005 14:56:55 +1000
From:         Stephen Overmyer <S.OVERMYER@UWS.EDU.AU>
Subject:      Re: Charcoal canister on 2.1 digifant engines?, page 20.33

>Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 18:28:52 -0800 >From: "Tom L. Salicos" <TomSalicos@COMCAST.NET> >Subject: Re: Charcoal canister on 2.1 digifant engines?, page 20.33

>The gas tank has vents on top that connect to the top of the charcoal canister. Fuel vapors are absorbed by the charcoal >in the canister. When the vehicle is running, the vapors are pulled out of the canister by the engine's vacuum, into the >intake manifold where they mix with the intake air and are burned.

>The bottom of the canister has a "fresh air" tube that may be shown going to the air filter, and that makes sense, since >the "purged" vapors will be sent to the engine with the rest of the intake air. However, on my Syncro, the tube seems to >be just stuck up into the body and does not look like there is anything for it to actually connect to up there.

A tube from the cannister back to the air filter never existed on the 2.1L AFAIK...as Tom says, and my (non-syncro) 2.1L van also validates this, the tube simply pokes up into the chassis rail for a relatively good source of clean air.

>I can't speak for the lifetime of the charcoal, but I think it is one of those things that, if it fails, nothing will act >differently, so no biggie (Except that the polar ice caps will melt and the shorelines of the world will be flooded).

The charcoal canister should have a good long service life however a couple of TFUs can happen...

Should the canister, through some odd set of circumstances, get flooded with fuel (it has happened) it will dry back out to a hard lump of charcoal rendering it useless. Replacement may then be necessary but it can sometimes be revived by removing the canister and shaking or thumping the thing until the charcoal again breaks up again.

The more likely reason the canister will require some maintenance is that some of the charcoal will find it's way either up into those two tiny tubes (one purple, one white) that go to the intake manifold or into the valve at the top of the canister. End result in either case is that your fuel tank won't vent properly as fuel is used up and this will be obvious by the fuel tank making that "Whoomph!" sound usually just after you pull up after driving some distance. You may also hear air being sucked into the tank if you remove the fuel cap quickly before a Whoomph happens...

Removal of the canister, giving it a good series of shakes as well as blowing out the valve and cleaning out the two small lines with a fine wire sees all back in good order and the canister will usually require no further thought for the next few years.

Keeping the old one going by occasionally shaking/cleaning is a lot cheaper than getting a new one and is only about a 15 min process from go to woe...

Cheers, Steve O NSW Australia '92 Transporter WBX Kombi '00 Transporter Double Cab '03 Transporter Double Cab (work truck) '78 Landrover Series 3 Soft Top Ute (ex-Aust Army)