Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 May 2005 15:02:02 -0400
From:         Tim Demarest <tim.demarest@POBOX.COM>
Subject:      Re: Replacing metal coolant hoses with copper?
Comments: To: Shawn Luft <shawnagan@SYMPATICO.CA>

It's an idea... but I don't feel comfortable with rubber for this application.

Sure, it doesn't rust, but it does expand under pressure somewhat. I don't like the idea of taking up the expansion slack of the entire brake system before any pressure reaches the wheel cylinders... the pedal can only be pushed so far. Then there's the issues of chafing, road hazards, dry rot and kinks. I'm considering stainless braid-over hoses to replace the rubber hoses at each wheel as it is.

I did go the rubber hose route for the P/S lines (thanks Frank C!), but I think I'll stick to metal tubing for the brakes, I think that one subsystem is too critical to skimp on (or experiment with beyond *very* conservative limits).

At 02:27 PM 5/2/2005 -0400, you wrote: >Sorry if I jumped in a bit late. But have you considered using reinforced >rubber hyraulic hoses? You can custom build some fittings on the end and >hook them right up. > > > >I've been meaning to do this myself. BTW, does anyone have specs on the >fittings req'd so I can call up my local hydraulics shop and order the >parts? > > > >Thanks, > >Shawn > > > > > Every vehicle you see on the road ( including your's) has steel brake, > > > fuel, and if applicable coolant lines.