Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 May 2005 21:17:21 -0400
From:         Jonathan Poole <jfpoolio@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      OBX camping suggestions

Howdy,,

I drove most of the NC coast last spring. I drove out to Corolla via Elizabeth Springs and then made my way south. I spent a few weeks or more (don't remember exactly) exploring. North of Corolla there are a couple of wildlife refuges which you can access by driving up the beach (there is no road) if you have a syncro. I spent some time hiking around up there looking for the wild horses that supposedly roam in that area. From Corolla and south you will find lighthouses, a bit of historical architecture and secluded beaches (at least in the off-peak seasons, I haven't been in summer). You can go to the Wright Brothers National Memorial, and to the Elizabeth II on Roanoke Island. While on Roanoke Island be sure to visit the lost colony site and free museum where the British made there first colonization attempt, the Elizabeth II is worth the fee in my opinion as get to see a lot more than the ship (which was sweet). The sound provides lots of opportunities to sea kayak and you can fish surf or sound side to your hearts content. My favorite area was probably the stretch just above the Oregon Inlet. There is a beach parking area there and a light house on the sound side. You might be able to get away with stealth camping there (I did) or you could stay at the campground which is just above Oregon Inlet. When I visited, the area seemed really laid back. I ended up watching the Atlantic for hours and the most exciting events were either the body boarding sessions or brushes with aquatic life. I also took a bike thinking that I would tour some of the areas that way, but it didn't turn out to be very practical. While many of the beaches were not crowded when I went the traffic on 12 was always a little too crazy for road biking in my opinion. I did ride my bike around the towns though which was nice. One thing that you probably know but that should definitely be considered is that it will probably be very hot in August.

Ya'll have a great trip..

Jonathan Poole