Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 May 2005 23:40:38 -0400
From:         Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU>
Subject:      Re: OBX camping suggestions

The National Seashore runs a couple of campgrounds - they are a lot nicer, though simpler (no hot water in the showers) than the private ones. You can find them on the web. You may want to make reservations, since August is certainly high season and I'd guess they fill up. (http://www.nps.gov/caha/camping99.htm)

There's a hostel in Kitty Hawk (I think that's where it is) that I stayed at, and it was congenial. (http://www.outerbankshostel.com/) They are used to people camping (and charge a bit less), so you can just park your van in their lot. They have a communal kitchen, and people of all ages stay there - it could be a nice way to meet people. In fact, I wrote some stuff about it in my website when I was there - http://users.rcn.com/jhecht/Apr10-04.html They have peacocks, which are amusing but loud. Fortunately, they go to sleep at night!

If you have kites, bring them - flying kites on the dunes at Nag's Head is the best. (http://www.jockeysridgestatepark.com/) If you don't have kites, go to Kitty Hawk Kites and buy some! (http://www.kittyhawk.com/) They are just across the road from the dunes. There are also other branches of KHK in other parts of the OBX, but the one across from the dunes is the main one and has the best selections of everything (including lots of tourist junk, t-shirts, etc.).

If you want to paddle but don't have kayaks, Kitty Hawk Kites also has an arm called Kitty Hawk Kayaks, and they rent boats. They may also run paddling trips.

If you're feeling adventuresome (or crazy and extravagant) they also give hang gliding lessons on the dunes. I've watched them, though, and it looks like one lesson isn't enough to get any sense of what hang gliding is like. But with more lessons you'd really go bankrupt!

There's basically only one road on most of the OBX, as with most barrier islands. Driving in August might be a bit horrible! That's why biking isn't too good either - though I've done it.

Much of the OBX is national seashore - really nice beaches. Nice birding - if you're at all into it, bring binoculars. But along the 30-mile stretch of national seashore there's no amenities at all. So make sure you pick up groceries and things when you get onto the island, where the towns are - once you're camping at the national seashore it might be a real nuisance to drive back to town to pick things up.

If you like ferries, go all the way down to Ocracoke at the southern end of the OBX and take the ferry back to the mainland. There's also a little free ferry from one island to the next which is fun.

There's good coffee in a few places along the way - the one I remember is Ocracoke Coffee, in (you guessed it!) Ocracoke. It's a few blocks from the ferry to the mainland - but then, so is everything in Ocracoke.

Enjoy! And bring sunscreen!

Joy

**************************************************************** Joy Hecht and Matilda, 1989 Burgundy Vanagon

For musings about life and the vanadventures: http://users.rcn.com/jhecht/gypsy

:::-----Original Message----- :::From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM] On Behalf :::Of Richard Golen :::Sent: Monday, May 02, 2005 5:21 PM :::To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM :::Subject: OBX camping suggestions ::: :::Hi, ::: :::My wife, my 12 year old son and I are thinking about going to the Outer :::Banks of NC in early August for vacation. Any suggestions regarding :::campgrounds and things to do would be greatly appreciated! ::: ::: :::Thanks in advance. ::: ::: :::Ric