Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 May 2005 10:25:59 -0700
From:         Zeitgeist <gruengeist@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      '89 new to list--question regarding throttle delay off idle.

Hi, I'm new to the list, but not to VWs or Vanagons. I'm a bit rusty with Digifant diagnostics, so I hope someone can save me a bit of time and direct my attention to potential sources of my problem.

The problem is with my wife's '89 van (manual trans), which is experiencing a slight throttle delay when taking off from a dead stop (engine at operating temp). This only happens when under load (won't delay if you blip the throttle with the clutch disengaged), and it's not a miss, hesitation or stumble--it's really just a delayed throttle response. The engine runs great otherwise and I recently R&R'd the plugs, cap/rotor, plugwires. It's a little frightening to pull into a busy street, stomp down on the throttle and nothing happens for what seems to be an eternity. Anyone know what might be causing this phenomena?

TIA

Bonus: Not sure if others are already hip to this trick, but I just thought it up last weekend, so I'll share. While trolling the local Pick-a-Part, I remembered the time delay dome light in our old '86 Jetta, so I purchased the unit out of a wrecked Jetta in the yard. Went home and with a slight bit of re-wiring of the plug, was able to easily mount the unit in our van--same size light opening. It's really nice to have that delayed lighting while fumbling with keys and kid paraphrenalia at night--enjoy!

Casey Biodiesel: '87 300TD intercooler (205k) '84 300D (200k) Gas Huffer: '89 Vanagon Wolfsburg Edition (183k) Olympia, WA