Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 May 2005 16:29:12 -0700
From:         rob campbell <rob@QUIMP.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cell Phone and the Internet

This is probably flogging a dead horse, but if there are still any naysayers out there, here is how I used the internet/laptop on a recent 3 month trip:

- Kept my "fans" informed by updating dokodemo.org every several days

- uploaded my photos so I didnt have to worry about losing them (this was excellent, since I lost my camera in a hotspring, glad all my photos werent on the card)

- looked up info on parks, weather conditions

- consulted vanagon archives numerous times for mechanical issues

- posted to vanagon list in a small-emergency situation (windshield wipers died in harsh downpour), got immediate replies which were very helpful

- kept in touch with friends and family

- organized meetings with people who have complex schedules and were not able to answer phones at times when i was able to call

- kept track of my bills and affairs at home

- watched a few movies while doing the unpleasant and inevitable occasional night at walmart

- had a text-searchable list of mechanics from roadhaus.com (this is AWESOME, thanks larry). A printout is nice, but text searching is better

- downloaded shows from npr.org to listen to in the middle of nowhere with no radio signals

Yeah I am a geek, but I don't think it detracted from my trip at all. I think it quite enhanced it. For people who are just weekend campers, I suppose truly "getting away" is great. I think the vanagon archives and mechanic listings alone are worth it though.

I'm tempted to claim that a cellphone at this point is a sensible emergency item, I was in some very remote places with no phones for miles, and still had signal. Being able to talk to my sister on Thanksgiving from a remote mountaintop, while I was eating crackers and cheese for dinner was a priceless experience.