Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 May 2005 01:39:12 EDT
From:         Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: HELP! Westy Stranded in Bryce Canyon National Park...
Comments: To: camper@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO

In a message dated 4/30/2005 5:14:06 PM Pacific Standard Time, camper@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO writes:

Here in colorado it is possible to get different blends according to the altitude. But that blending is for emissions and your engine should run the same either way if the O2 and AFM and ECU are working correctly.

I have to respectfully disagree, and I do so with no ill intent and no ill will. But instead to set the record straight.

You are correct that the high-altitude blend of gasoline has a posative effect on emissions. However the theory that there's no effect on the engine's ability to run correctly doesn't fit the above conclusion. The idea that a different blend effects the emissons but not how the engine runs is flawed. This, because how the engine is running is directly responsible for the emissons. A "correctly" running engine--one running under ideal circumstances-- will produce lower emissions than one running under poor conditions. The configuration is also then contigent on the blend of gasoline and the altitude.

The gasoline blended for a specific altitude is concocted with consideration to the amount of oxygen in the air. The guy who's stuck in Bryce is very possible having a problem related to the fuel system. He stated he can smell fuel. Therefore let's say for arguments sake his bus is getting too much fuel for the amount of oxygen at the altitude were he is camping. This is likely because the fuel in his tank is mixed for a lower altitude. In essence the engine is getting too much fuel to start--it is "flooded." It is running rich we would say if it were running. or now we can say it's too rich to start. Why--because they're ain't enough oxygen to create a favorable situation for combustion with the higher octane fuel. (and I'm not willing to agree that the difference in the high altitude blend of fuel is soley an issue of octane. Although this is certainly the most notable difference to the consumer since it is printed at the pump.)

Granted this lack of combustion--or even if he got the engine to tstart--creates an unfavorable emissions output. But this emissisons problem is precisely the same problem that is keeping the engine from starting: poor combustion. One is the same as the other.

I would almost agree that if everything is working properly this might not be a crucial concern. So I'd say if the guy stuck in Bryce drove his Westfalia off the dealer's lot in 1984 and headed to the Canyon with a lower altitude fuel he'd likely be up and running and we wouldn't be here hashing this out. But 21 years after that bus came off the lot, that extra rich mixture might just be enough to leave a guy stranded. And quite frankly it may have been enough to leave him stranded him in 1984.

Therefore I still recommend fueling up every 1,000 feet you gain in elevation. Also a fresh tune up when heading to a higher altitude will help.

Disclaimer: The fellow in Bryce Canyon could be suffering from a host of problems. The altitude vs. gasoline is not necessarily it. But it's worth examining.

Best, 83.5 Westfalia LA,CA