Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 May 2005 22:35:37 -0700
From:         Rocket J Squirrel <j.michael.elliott@ADELPHIA.NET>
Subject:      Cable to top ventilation lever breaks

When we got Mellow Yellow, our 84 Westy, I found that the top ventilation control lever did nothing. After some inspection I found that the wire cable that connects to the lever had broken off at the point where it bends and goes into the little hole on the lever. So we adjusted the cable a bit to get some slack and made a new bend in the wire and shoved it into the lever hole. It worked great -- for about five cycles of adjustment. Then it broke off. Again, it was right where the wire goes through the hole in the lever.

This makes sense: I would not expect a bent steel wire to last long when bent into a hole like that without some kind of bushing to protect it from being abraded by the edge of the hole in the lever. But it looks to me like there never was anything there to protect the wire. Am I overlooking something? What's the secret this?

--

Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus 84 Westfalia: "Mellow Yellow (The Electrical Banana)" KG6RCR