Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 May 2005 09:37:23 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: HELP! Westy Stranded in Bryce Canyon National Park...
Comments: To: Oxroad@aol.com

Not to beat this to death, but....

If I understand our vans and the FI systems, the ECU has sufficient capacity to maintain proper fuel/air ratio regardless of altitude or temperature.

A hot summer day at altitude would be the worst of all conditions, as it would tend to send Density Altitude right off the scale. 10,000 feet ASL becomes 12,000 feet ASL at a high temperature - for performance performance purposes. If the engine is in good condition, proper condition, at sea level, then at those higher density altitudes the ECU should be able to maintain that proper fuel/air ratio.

The problem of decreasing performance at altitude is due to the fact of less dense air. As the air becomes less dense, the engine ttends to run more and more rich as altitude increases. The ECU adjusts the fuel air mixture to proper ratio, but it does it by reducing the amount of fuel to match the air available. At altitude with the air thin - less oxygen per pound of air than at sea level - the reduction of fuel to match results in a power loss. So if you van is very peppy at sea level, don't expect it at altitude, especially out in the west in summer.

As a side note, the Density Altitude is a matter of serious concern to aircraft operations. Lift generated by the wings of the aircraft is related to speed, and an airplane must have sufficient speed to lift off the runway and to gain altitude. At high density altitudes the airplane must have a runway long enough to allow the airplane to accelerate to the higher speed required. To accomplish that higher speed, it must also have sufficient engine power. With the loss of power, from the effects of altitude and temperature, combined with the need for additional speed to achieve liftoff velocity, and the subsequent additional runway required to allow enough time to reach that liftoff speed, it can become very problematic for an airplane to even be able to get off the ground. So, there are all kinds of tables, charts, and considerations for a pilot to make or refer to , so as to be able to make a decision about the safety of the flight about to be attempted. One of the first steps to attempt to overcome such difficulties was to add a supercharger to the engine to get the power back up. With a supercharged engine, the power is maintained, acceleration is faster, and lift can be achieved to get the airplane off the ground within the confines of the runway. Later came turbine engines, which improved matters even further. But even so, pilots to this day must be concerned about the relationships of temperature, aircraft loaded weight, engine power available, etc.

How does all this relate to the Vanagon. Expect less power at altitude unless the engine has been turbocharged. That is the main thing. One might also expect an increase in gas mileage at altitude - high density altitudes mean lower air resistance....plus the reduced fuel consumption when the ECU reduces the fuel to keep the fuel/air ratio correct. But again, if the engine is turbocharged, sea level power could be maintained so fuel consumption would not change. Gas mileage might improve slightly due to lower air resistance.

My $0.02 for the morning.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver Chelsea, AL