Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 May 2005 09:24:55 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Alternator Light Still On After Replacing Broken Belt - 87
              Westy w. AC
Comments: To: Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@HOTMAIL.COM>

A small blue wire has to be connected to the alternator. It is the trigger terminal. If you have a camper, the indicator lights will remain on as the refrigerator control relay provides enough of a ground for them. Either that wire is disconnected, connected to the wrong place, or maybe the alternator does have a problem.

13.2 volts is not proper. It should be ~13.8 except if when there is a heavy load. Most likely you have grounding problem. I've seen this a number of times. Install another ground wire from the alternator case itself to the body. I usually go from one of the small studs on the back of the alternator to the shelf under the air filter to keep the wire short.

Driving a few blocks with the alternator/water pump belt broken is not a good thing. No belt = no water flow = uneven head temps = future head and gasket problems. As the water flow stopped, so did the temperature gauge until such time that you make steam.

Dennis

A couple of weeks ago I replaced my alternator with a Bosch rebuilt. It was working fine, putting out 13-2-4 volts according to my Digitool.

Last Sunday the alternator and O2 lights came on while driving, and the voltage dropped to 11.5. It was only a couple of blocks from home so I drove back and found the belt had broken.

As it is on the inside, I replaced all three belts. (The PS belt is a pain!) In the process I removed and replaced the alternator to get at the coolant hose underneath it when I couldn't break the other end loose.

Now the digitool shows 13.2 -3 volts, but the alternator and O2 lights won't go out. I have revved up the engine a couple of times, with no results.

The alternator wires all look correct. The archives refet to a little blue wire, but I don't see one that color.

Any thoughts?

Mike

Mike Finkbiner '87 Westy Moscow, ID mike_l_f@hotmail.com

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest."

-- Mahatma Gandhi