Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 May 2005 22:38:27 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      =?US-ASCII?Q?RE:_No_headlights_-_high_beam_indicator_stays_on_-_relay_upg?=
              =?US-ASCII?Q?rade_installed?=
Comments: To: Preston Grimes <87westy@GMAIL.COM>

Check the headlight ground connection. It is located above the fuse box, high, on a start adapter. It is known for loosening and burning up. The headlights are trying to ground through the high beam indicator. A better fix is to ground the lights directly behind each unit.

Dennis

I installed the relay upgrade kit about two years ago in my 87 Westfalia with much improved night time driving results. Recently, however, the low beams stopped working.

After disconnecting the main battery ground and examining the fuse block, focusing on the upgraded relays, I found that the brown (ground) wire on the left relay holder was hanging on by a couple of copper threads. Not sure how that happened, but at least, I thought, this would be a relatively easy fix..

After reattaching and securing the ground wire to the connector in the relay holder, I put everything back in place expecting some gratifying moments of headlight testing.

"Expectations dashed" was more like it.

Now BOTH the low and high beams do not work. The blue high beam indicator light comes on and stays on whenever I activate the headlight switch and without regard to the position of the "dimmer" switch on the turn signal stalk. No amount of clicking the headlight dimmer causes the blue light to go out. The fuses are good.

As usual when I attempt to solve on of these perplexing Vanagon issues, I checked the archives. In summary: two Vanagon owners in the past solved the exact same problem, presumably minus the relay upgrade since that was not specifically mentioned by either, by cleaning up the headlight grounds. The headlight system is apparently trying to ground itself through the circuit that causes the blue high beam indicator light to illuminate. Ok, that sounds plausible. Unfortunately, my attempts to clean the grounds did not work. See the note below for the details.

I happened to have some salvaged 40 Amp VW relays with the 30/85/86/87 numbers in my tool bag, so I tried those in place of the ones that came with the upgrade package. No change. No headlights lights; just the blue high beam indicator light on the dash.

The next two possibilities are the headlight switch itself, though I suppose this should not have fried with the relays in place, and something called the "ignition switch" according to the archives.

I know that someone reading this message has a deep understanding of the late Vanagon headlight system. What should I try next? I have a voltmeter, so I can do some testing. Oh, by the way, I have a set of projektwzo fog lights with a separate switch on the dash too. These don't work either now but worked perfectly prior to the low beams going out.

Note: to clean the grounds, I removed all the connections from the front grounding cluster just above the fuse box, removed the cluster itself, and used some fine sandpaper on both sides of each prong. As I sanded, the color of the grounding prong changed from light gold to brushed silver. In my inexpert opinion, the grounds are quite clean. The female wire connectors I did not clean, as they did not appear dirty. Is this right? Can anyone suggest any other methods to try? Thanks.