Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 May 2005 23:05:44 -0700
Comments:     DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
From:         James Adams <james_adams@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Seeking Advice: TIICO Fuel Rail

Hello fellow Vanagon/TIICO owners,

I have a TIICO engine in my '90 Vanagon, which is running like a rocket (after several months of frustrating/expensive tuning after having the engine installed). My van now flies down the highway and runs up the hills!

I have been living in NYC for the last two years and during that time I have had the vehicle stored in my grandmother's garage in SC, and my father goes to drive it once every week or so to keep it alive. I will soon drive the van to Portland, Oregon where I plan/hope to live for the foreseeable future.

I have not done the (A2) fuel rail conversion yet, but my understanding is that this is the right thing to do. My thinking is to order the kit from Ken at VanAgain.com and have it installed before I motor across the country. What I'm wondering is whether or not this is a good idea, especially since the engine is running so well at this point (I had serious, debilitating timing/stuttering problems before, but fortunately I found a mechanic who was able to make things right, after months of frustration and $100s in mechanic's bills, not to mention the $1000s I spent on the install which wasn't perfect). My hesitation is based on the adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

My questions are as follows:

1) Should I do the fuel rail conversion if I'm already (and finally!) running so well without it? Comments good and bad from others who have done this upgrade will be very appreciated.

2) Is there a site or info page (other than Pollard's great posting to this list) which might help/enlighten the mechanic who will do this for me?

3) Can anyone suggest a mechanic between SC and OR who has experience with this, who could reliably do this fuel rail replacement, and who would let me "sit in" on the job? My time frame is early June. I have no special tools of my own and no experience working on engines, but I'm mechanically inclined (I think) and I'd like to have at least a small bit of experience working on my van in case I ever have to delve into it by necessity (perhaps stuck on the side of the road in Arizona, God forbid). I can offer computer programming/configuration help in exchange, as well as normal/customary labor compensation, plus pleasant company. [I've only changed the battery and a few flat tires myself, but I've rebuilt many bicycles (not the same beast, I know) so I'm no total stranger to wrenches and hand tools.]

Thanks in advance for your suggestions, insight, and comments.

--James